On Wednesday, August 31, the Supreme Court judges raised pertinent questions arising from the presidential election petition filed by Azimio leader Raila Odinga and other petitioners challenging William Ruto’s presidential win.
In their respective petitions, those opposing the election of William Ruto as the fifth president-elect had raised several grounds in which they claimed that the August 9, the presidential election was not free and fair.
As such, Kivumbi.co.ke has listed 14 relevant questions raised by the seven judges of the Supreme Court to Azimio la Umoja lawyers as they seek to make a ruling on whether or not to uphold William Ruto’s presidential win.
- Judge Lenaola: Did the four dissenting Commissioners ever complain about Chebukati’s action before they walked out?
- Judge Ouko: What are the ingredients to be satisfied before the Court that can invoke sec 80(4) of the Election Act as pleased by Azimio?
- What is the relevance of spoilt votes in computing the Presidential results?
- Judge Njoki: Can handwriting be capable of being changed in the form 34As through staging?
- Does voter suppression as claimed by Azimio affect only the Presidential election?
- Judge Wanjala: What is the relevance of voter turnout in the Presidential election?
- Why could the dissenting Commissioners protest against Chebukuti’s harassment on time?
- Judge Ibrahim: Feasibility of the reliefs sought; If the election is annulled, due to Chebukati’s malfeasance, what is probably the way to guard against the possible lacuna in the event Chebukati is impeached?
- Deputy CJ Mwilu: When did the Commission become dysfunctional and what were the corrective measures attempted?
- In Maina Kiai’s case; when a photo is taken in its original nature and form from the polling stations; are they taken as a PDF?
- What should be done as a corrective measure against the “rogue” Chair of this dysfunctional Commission and whether ignore the Constitutional safeguards which are already in place so far as his impeachment is concerned?
- Should the actual winner be identified by the Court; should he be declared?
- CJ Koome: If the Chebukati is found culpable, what do we do should there be repeat Elections in light of Article 251(2) CoK?
- To Kibe, how did you know that 700 thousand people did not vote?