On Wednesday, October 12, the Director of Public Prosecution (DPP) announced that it had withdrawn graft charges against former Malindi MP Aisha Jumwa.
The DPP through the head of prosecution Alex Akula informed Chief Magistrate Martha Mutuku that it has received orders to withdraw the case against Jumwa who is the first defendant in the case.
“I have instructions to move the court with an application on review of charges and that is specified on the first accused person the final directive is to have her name removed and the case against eight suspects who had been charged alongside Jumwa to proceed,” Akula said.
The withdrawal elicited sharp reactions from a section of the Azimio la Umoja One Kenya Coalition party which had threatened not to approve the nomination of Aisha Jumwa into President William Ruto’s cabinet.
However, in his latest media interview, DPP Noordin Haji defended the move by his office to withdraw the corruption case against Public Service and Gender Cabinet Secretary Aisha Jumwa.
Haji said there was no external force in his decision to drop charges against Aisha Jumwa.
He said the decision to pull the case out of court was prompted by the lack of evidence which he said had been obstructed by former DCI boss George Kinoti.
“We asked for evidence and it was never availed and we had written more than five reminders to the DCI and it was never forthcoming,
“DCI said they have evidence to directly link Aisha Jumwa herself to the crime and they availed certain documents that we felt if additional documents were availed then proof could be there to allow us to prosecute her but they were never availed and we had to review the case and withdraw it,” Haji said during an interview with KTN News.
Jumwa was facing charges of illegally obtaining Ksh.19 million while serving as a Member of Parliament for Malindi between May and October 2018.