In his suspension notice, the first-term county boss said those willing to take part in the countrywide demos to go to Nairobi.
“… all public demonstrations within Kisumu County have from today been suspended indefinitely so that we can join the demonstrations in Nairobi,” the governor said.
However, a few hours later, the ODM governor made an about-turn after announcing that he had lifted a ban on demonstrations in the city.
In a statement on Wednesday, March 29, Nyong’o instead called upon Raila supporters to turn up in large numbers tomorrow Thursday, March 30, ready for the protests.
“We are encouraged by the resolve of our people to continue with the demonstrations. We have therefore been urged to continue with peaceful demonstrations tomorrow and we shall do so,” he said.
He called on the police to provide security during the demonstrations claiming that they were aware that goons had been hired to cause disruptions during the protests in Kisumu.
“We know that goons have been hired to disrupt the peaceful protests but we urge our people to not allow them to do so.
Nyong’o’s retraction was confirmed by Azimio la Umoja One Kenya Coalition Party leader Raila Odinga who said the Kisumu demonstration will go on as planned.
Speaking at Capital Hill offices in Nairobi after a meeting with the Catholic church leaders led by Bishop Anthony Muheria, Raila stated that demonstrations in Kisumu would go on, on Thursday, March 29.
“We have talked with Governor Nyong’o, and has asked us to announce that there will be a demonstration in Kisumu, just like there will be in the rest of the country,” Raila said.
The two contradicting statements have since led to confusion among Nyanza supporters on whether or not they will attend the protests.