More than 30 Members of Parliament (MPs) in the National Assembly and Senate did not table any motion or make a contribution in the plenary last year, the 2020 parliamentary scorecard has revealed.
According to an analysis of the Hansard report by Mzalendo Trust, an organization that tracks MPs performance, 31 members of the National Assembly and three from the Senate remained dumb on the floor of the house despite being vocal in political rallies.
While releasing the scorecard, Mzalendo Trust Executive Director Carolyne Gaita attributed their silence to the COVID-19 pandemic.
She said the 4th session of the 12th parliamentary business was predominantly shaped by the virus which triggered unprecedented disruption to the hitherto normal operations of both Houses.
The following is a list of MPs who never made any contribution for the whole of the year 2020.
- Gideon Moi (Baringo senator)
- Victor Prengei (nominated senator)
- Philip Mpayee (Kajiado)
- George Aladwa (Makadara)
- Oscar Sudi (Kapseret)
- Sylvenus Osoro (South Migirango)
- Ernest Kivai (Vihiga)
- Alfred Sambu (Webuye West)
- Imran Okoth (Kibra)
- George Karuiki (Ndia)
- Joshua Aduma Owor (Nyakach)
- Lokiru Ali Mohammed (Turkana East)
- Gideon Konchela (Kilgoris East)
- Fred Ouda (Kisumu Central)
- Richard Onyonka (Kitutu Chache South)
- Mathias Robi (Kuria West)
- Marwa Kitayama (Kuria East)
- Bady Twalib (Jomvu)
- Abdi Shurie (Mbalambala)
- Maalim Kulow (Banisa)
- Patrick Ntwiga (Chuka/Igambang’ombe)
- Said Haribae (Galole)
- Cherlse Gimose (Hamisi)
- Maina Kamanda (nominated)
- Jane Chebaibai (Elgeyo Marakwet)
- Jane Njiru (Embu)
- Anab Gure (Garissa)
- Irene Kasalu (Kitui)
- Rose Mumo (Makueni)
- Amina Gedoh (Mandera)
- Asha Mohammed (Mombasa)
- Lilan Tomitom (West Pokot)
- Janet Teiyaa (Kajiado)
Despite earning millions of shillings in allowances and salaries, a section of the legislator however defended themselves arguing that the bulk of parliamentary work is done in committees as part of their legislation work.