Azimio la Umoja One Kenya Coalition Party leader Raila Odinga last week announced the return of weekly protests.
Raila who had temporarily called off the demonstrations to allow dialogue with President William Ruto’s side accused the other group of being insincere.
As such, the former Prime Minister said the bi-partisan talks will go hand in hand with the protests, especially after realizing that the other side was not showing seriousness.
However, Mombasa Governor Abdulswamad Nassir on Monday, April 17, made it clear that he will not take part in the yet-to-start anti-government protests.
While the ODM governor said he respects everyone’s right to demonstrations, he will not be part of it adding that millions of his voters are currently looking up to him on how they can get their daily bread.
“We will not deny anyone of their constitutional rights but at the same time millions of people are looking up to me on where they are going to get their bread and butter,” he said.
It is worth noting that Abdulswamad is not the first county boss to distance himself from the anti-government protests.
During the protests which were officially launched on Monday, February 20, Kisumu Governor Anyang Nyong’o and his Nairobi counterpart Johnson Sakaja ruled out demonstrations in their counties.
However, after meeting Azimio la Umoja One Kenya Coalition Party leader Raila Odinga, Nyong’o who was elected on an ODM party ticket made a U-tern saying the weekly demonstrations will continue.
“We are encouraged by the resolve of our people to continue with the demonstrations. We have therefore been urged to continue with peaceful demonstrations tomorrow and we shall do so,” he said.
Raila urged his supporters across the country to turn up in large numbers for the demonstrations once he announces the official return which will be anytime starting on Thursday, April 20.