A court in Eldoret has released 15 suspects who allegedly attacked ODM leader Raila Odinga’s chopper earlier this month.
On Friday, April 1, a chopper that was ferrying Azimio la Umoja flag bearer Raila Odinga was stoned by rowdy youth in Kebenes, Uasin Gishu County.
Following the incident, at least 17 suspects were arrested and the prosecution requested that they be detained for seven days to allow for more investigations.
However, on Wednesday, April 13, Senior Resident Magistrate Emily Kigen freed the 15 after the prosecution said it could not implicate them because of a lack of evidence.
According to court documents, most of those arrested did not even attend Kibor’s burial and were away from the region.
This contradicts a report by Interiors CS Fred Matiang’i claiming that the recent attacks meted on ODM leader Raila Odinga in Rift Valley were well planned.
Titus Bitok, a lawyer representing the suspects welcomed the move saying the suspects had been arrested and detained illegally.
“As we had said, the suspects were innocent people and had been detained illegally. We are happy that they have been released but it’s an indication that police arrested innocent people and detained them illegally,” Bitok said.
Only two suspects out of the 17 who were arrested were charged.
The two Abednego Kiptanui and Kenneth Kipkogey were accused of three counts including malicious damage to property as well as causing a disturbance.
While appearing before Senior Principal Magistrate Richard Odenyo, the pair denied all the three counts and was released on a cash bail of KSh 300,000.
Kivumbi.co.ke reported that a chopper that was carrying ODM leader Raila Odinga, Embakasi East MP Babu Owino, and his Suna East counterpart Junet Mohammed who had attended the burial of Kibor at Kabenes was pelted with stones.